“Aspects of Independent Artistic Creation in Greece today”
Orizontas Gegonoton (Event Horizon), as an active member of independent artistic creation in Greece, is organising a two-day symposium on the subject: “Aspects of Independent Artistic Creation in Greece today.”
Our aim is to develop a meaningful dialogue between all participants that can provide not only the appropriate feedback to the present and future discourse, but also contribute to developments in the areas of Culture, Education and the Arts.
Our incentive is to exploit the group’s ten-year active participation in the art scene and to present and highlight aspects of the independent visual arts in Greece today; moreover, we wish to give the opportunity to art groups active in other countries either to participate in the symposium or to send a presentation of their work.
The symposium will be held in April 2018, at the National Museum of Contemporary Art, Athens, with the participation of artists, art education institutes and independent art groups, organisations and institutions, the scientific and teaching staff of Secondary and Higher Education, academics and researchers in the fields of Art, Education, Philosophy, Sociology and the Humanities.
Papers can be either in the form of 15-minute presentation or that of a poster. At the same time, workshops can be conducted where fruitful interventions can lead to a meaningful and constructive dialogue.
1. Aspects of independent artistic expression and gesture.
2. The parameters (individual and group creation) of the independent visual arts scene.
3. Areas of multiple artistic action and their role in the production of culture.
4. Worldwide independent artistic creation.
5. Independent visual language, its relation to society, and its political-economic dimension.
6. Independent Art and the Mass Media.
7. The Art market in Greece, past and present.
8. Art collecting and its role in the artistic and cultural evolution.
9. Independent Visual Art scene and Art curators.
10. The role of Art in urban planning.
11. Art, education and society. Creative learning. Linking school with aspects of culture. The contribution of Art to the shaping of tomorrow’s society.
In addition, presentations – papers concerning different but relative to the above matters can also be made.
The proceedings of the symposium will be published.
Candidates are required to submit a summary of their presentation (150-200 words in a Word file) and the entry form (following) by e-mail to the address: firstname.lastname@example.org
ENTRY FORM FOR THE INDEPENDENT ART SYMPOSIUM
SURNAME AND FIRST NAME(S):
BRIEF CURRICULUM VITAE:
Paper (one of the following three) –
1. PROPOSED PRESENTATION A) TOPIC (1-11), B) TITLE:
or 2. PROPOSED POSTER A) TOPIC (1-11), B) TITLE:
or 3. PROPOSED WORKSHOP A) TOPIC (1-11), B) TITLE:
Deadline for entries: 18 March 2018
Date of approval of proposals: 25 March 2018
Symposium Dates: 20 and 21 April 2018
Venue: National Museum of Contemporary Art, Athens (EMST)
– Kallirrois Avenue & Amvr. Frantzi Str, former Fix factory, Athens, Greece –
Entrance will be free to the public.
Updates on the progress of the procedures and preparation, as well as on the final program can be found on the web-blog:
and on Facebook page:
Symposium Project Team:
Konstantinos Angelou (visual artist, teacher)
Kimon Axaopoulos (photographer, teacher)
Nikos Dachris (graphic designer, communications analyst)
Maria Doukaki (visual artist, teacher, author)
Tzimis Efthimiou (visual artist, teacher, author)
Lydia Margaroni (visual artist)
Cleopatra Moursela (visual artist, teacher, coordinator of IEP’s “Arts” unit)
Yannis Mbeskos (teacher)
Despina Pantazi (visual artist)
Konstantinos Stoupathis (museologist, art-conservator)
Yannis Tsoumas (academic, author)
Anna Maria Hadjistefanou (photographer)
88 Kerameikou Street, Athens
(0030) 697 668 9670, Tzimis Efthimiou
(0030) 694 425 1408, Lydia Margaroni
(0030) 698 395 4934, Despina Pantazi